Home Start York has been supporting families in York for over 26 years and continues to provide volunteer parents to visit families who are finding it difficult to cope.
How do we support families?
- offer practical and emotional support to families with a least one child under five.
- visiting families in their own homes, for a few hours once a week.
- reassuring parents that difficulties in bringing up children are not unusual and encouraging enjoyment in family life
- developing a relationship with the family with a flexible approach to take account of individual needs
- encouraging the parents’ strengths and emotional well-being for the ultimate benefit of their own children
- encouraging families to widen their social network and to use the support and services available within their local community.
Volunteers offer support in situations as diverse as isolation, bereavement, multiple births, illness, disability or when families are finding parenting a struggle. They provide non-judgmental practical and emotional support and help build the family’s confidence and ability to cope.